Samsung watches run on the Tizen Operating system. In 2017, Tizen was the second-largest wearable platform, with a 19% market share. The following illustration shows some of our popular paid and free watch faces:
- Demographics: 80% male, age 20s to 40s
- Number of downloads per device in the first 6 months of ownership: 8 or more apps, 80% of which are watch faces
- Top 3 markets: USA, Korea, Germany
Opportunities and benefits for developers
App developers receive a standard revenue share of 70% from all apps. Samsung supports various payment methods, including Samsung Pay, credit card, carrier billing, and PayPal, in more than 90 countries.
Samsung boasts a global distribution channel of more than 750,000 retail locations and 30,000 experience stores and has increased marketing support because of the rise of consumer interest in our watches. In addition to our regional websites, we have 162+ million fans across various social media platforms, and we anticipate continued, steady growth as we add new, different, and desirable devices.
The technical support team is available to help you when you join the Samsung Developer Program (SDP). Our technical support team is located in Mountain View, CA, and is available to answer your questions about the development, registration, and distribution process.
Device features include:
- Unique and personalized watch faces
- Full-color always-on display
- Water resistant
- Long-lasting battery
- Stylish and changeable bands
- Simple SOS messaging for safety
- Speaker, which allows you to make and receive calls freely from your wrist and listen to your favorite songs and podcasts through the standalone music player.
Samsung watches have many sensors to allow users to determine their up-to-the-minute health, fitness, and fitness environmental information:
- Ambient light sensor
- Gyro sensor
- Heart rate monitor
Your watch face app, whether the app itself is free or paid-for, can sell commercial in-app items to users:
- Consumable items (purchase whenever needed, use once)
- Nonconsumable items (purchase once, use any number of times)
- Auto-recurring subscription items (purchase one time, use for the length of the subscription and all automatically renewed subscriptions)
You can integrate In-App Purchase (IAP) functionality to have Samsung manage the in-app item purchase transactions by directly integrating IAP APIs in your app code.